- ABOUT US
“Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good, his love endures forever.” Psalm 107:1
A Very Good Evening to everyone
I feel honoured to extend a hearty welcome to our distinguished guests, parents, staff and dear children to our Annual Day Function 2018.
The small beginning of Carmel Central School valapad dates back to 1993 by starting KG, as a response to the request of the people to start English medium school. It is run by Carmel Educational and Charitable Trust, Thrissur. The school has KG and STD 1 to XII functioning as per syllabus stipulated by CBSE New Delhi.
Under the able leadership of our former and present Principal, our Manager, in co-operation with the PTA and with a team of dedicated staff, we are making progress towards our dream of giving formation to the young minds of future citizens.
I take this opportunity to express immense appreciation and gratitude towards Sr. Mareena for being a part of our journey in the school especially during the inspection for the extension of our school affiliation. Her selfless support and co-operation is commendable and we are highly grateful to her. Not the least I would also extend this gratitude towards Sr. Jeslin and Dr. Sr. Lissy John for their equal moral help and support during inspection.
It gives me immense pleasure to inform that this support and co-operation still continues without any deterioration and the whole credit goes to our principal Dr. Sr. Mariette Therattil who took the reins of this institution this year. We are equally obliged to you for being a part of the institution.
The School Annual Report showcases the achievements and glories of our school, undoubtedly, but also makes us think deeply about our shortcomings. We have always been committed to create an environment in the school which helps the young minds to blossom and provide a platform for individual thinking and holistic development of the child’s personality. We set standards and goals for ourselves and strive to achieve them – be it in the area of academics, co-curricular activities, sports, leadership and more.
I take it as an honour to present the Annual report of our school to apprise you all.
I wish to begin with our performance on the academic front.
Excellence in academics is the hallmark of any good institution and class X and XII Results of the School year 2017-2018 prove without any doubt that our students have made us proud.
We are happy to say that we have secured cent percentage for X & XII board examination 2017-2018.
AISSCE RESULTS – Class XII
List of A1 holders are as follows
Sneha P.C, Amalin Grace Antony, Anjana Sukesh
AISSE RESULTS - Class X
List of A1 holders are as follows:
Karthika S, Neenu T.S, Ann Mariya C.J
You can view the subject toppers on the screen
In the Award Day Celebration organized by PTA, victorious students were honoured by the guest of the day Shri Anup Kuruvilla John IPS (DIG of police training, Kerala Police Academy Thrissur).
We have an enthusiastic team of dedicated teachers and supporting staff and we duly appreciate the tremendous co-operation on the part of everyone associated with this institution who have strived their best to mould our students in making their dreams and aspirations come true.
Some of the efforts put in to continue the process of building, and enhancing teachers capabilities in 2018 include:
1. KG training programme for the Montessori teachers at Sree Gokulam Public School, Thrissur
2. Hindi Training Program based on Hindi Grammar by Madhuban Publishers, Thrissur
3. A three day workshop on Capacity Building Programmed on life skills at Bhavan’s Varuna Vidhyalam, Trikkakara for Higher Secondary teachers.
4. One day seminar on classroom management and capacity building programme for senior higher secondary teachers at Al Ameen School, Edapally and Crescent School, Chalakudy,
5. The Language teachers attended various seminars based on Capacity Building in their respective subject.
6. The Physics teachers attended a two day workshop at Campion School Edapally.
7. The teachers also had an effective session on common errors in English usage in the school under the guidance of Ms. Beena Sugathan, author of NCERT& Oxford Publications and the staff from GICE Institution Mr. Jason & Ms. Chinnu.
To ensure that our students are well equipped with knowledge to face any challenge, we have focused sessions on special topics including
Agriculture Awareness: Mr. Haneesh Kumar conducted a seminar for students from class IX to XII on topics related to agricultural tips.
Basic Life Support: Mr. Anil from Students Education film society showed a film named” Aakashangalka Appuram” for the students, to invoke awareness among them regarding the misuse of IT fields, illegal drug supply and circumstances leading to terrorist mind.
An awareness talk on Cancer disease was held for the students by Dr. Jose Babu, from Alpha Palliative Care Unit.
Career Guidance and Planning: Mr. Biju Varghese and his team from Easylink academy gave a career guidance session to the students of class XI & XII where they focused on topics related to career shaping opportunities.
Mr. Sunil Thomas & Mr. Prince from Manappuram academy took an orientation class for students from std. X, XI, and XII. to set goals and study techniques.
Leadership Skills: An orientation program was arranged for students by Mr. Lims Thomas (Asst. Prof., from Vimala College) who enlightened them by his talks related to 'Life – No failure'.
An interesting motivational class by the resource person Mr. Sanush John Chittalapilly was arranged for the students from std VII to IX.
Disaster Management: Resource person Mr. Salim Kumar (leading fireman) and his team members Mr. Babu and Mr. Renjith from the Fire Force Department, Valapad gave an awareness class to the students on the different ways of occurrence of fire accidents and how to avoid them.
The school PTA plays a significant role in building effective co-operation and partnership between home and school. Periodic meetings are scheduled to facilitate effective interaction between parents and teachers.
Class PTA and PTA executive meetings are held regularly to give general instructions and to discuss the matters regarding progress and measures for the improvement in children.
In the General Body Meeting a talk was arranged for the parents by Ms Willy Varghese, Asst. Prof. from St. Thomas College, Thrissur.
Now, let us have a brief glimpse of the Annual School Programs:
1. World Environment Day: A motivational talk was arranged, where Rev. Fr. Thomas Edayal delivered an awareness speech on the importance of green and clean environment. He also planted a Jackfruit sapling in the school premises to observe the environment day. Seeds were also distributed among the students and teachers to promote agricultural and farming activities.
2. School Parliament Election & House Inauguration: Jeslin Jose of +2 was elected as school Prime Minister in the election. The parliamentary members made their commitment through the oath taking ceremony presided by our Principal Dr. Sr. Mariette. Four houses and clubs were also inaugurated by the guest of honour C.I of Valapad Shri. T.K Shaiju. He also gave an awareness talk based on the rigorous misuse of internet and mobile phones. The students of various clubs presented their activities and presentation like PowerPoint display, skit, poems, charts etc.
3. Carmel Day: Special prayers, novena, offerings and processions were carried out on Carmel Day. Carmel buds was inaugurated by the Principal and the Manager Sr. Lina George followed by their messages. Various cultural activities like dance, tableau and devotional songs were included.
4. Hindi Diwas: On September 14th the entire programs were conducted in Hindi starting from the assembly to the cultural activities like dance, Powerpoint presentation, skit, music etc. Our principal Dr. Sr. Mariette conveyed her message regarding the origin, history, culture and importance of Hindi Language to the students.
5. International Old Age Day: The day was observed in the school along with the grandparents of our students aged above 75. They were honoured with gifts and were also entertained by our students with cultural programs. They also participated in the activities with full enthusiasm.
6. Kerala Piravi: November 1st was observed in a pure traditional manner with lamp lighting ceremony, followed by the message by the Principal Dr. Sr. Mariette on the most important wealth of Kerala that is its tradition and culture.
7. Other events such as Independence Day, Teachers’ Day, Principal’s Feast day, Rosary Day, Children’s Day, Chavara & Euphrasia Feast, and Christmas etc. were also celebrated in a magnificent amazing manner.
Education should consist of a series of enchantments, each raising the individual to a higher level of awareness, understanding, and kinship with all living things.
Various Co-Curricular Activities are held to ensure all-round physical, moral, social and mental development of a child and to hone his skills in co-scholastic areas. A few such activities are as follows:
1. Mental Skill & Development:
· Quiz: Quiz competitions were arranged every month for students on various subjects in order to evaluate our students on their knowledge related to that subject. The school also conducted an online exam named ’Vidyarthi Vigyan Manthan’ for the students of class VI, VII & VIII which was the first online exam that our students attempted and it was a different experience for them. Byju’s Aptitude Preliminary test was conducted in the school for students from class V to IX and the toppers were awarded.
· Competitions: Our students also participated in competitions held by different organizations and have won prizes. Abhinav Shreyas of class VII won the second prize in drawing competition organized by S.N Trust in connection with Sree Narayana Guru Jayanthi. Nila Binoy of class VII secured the first prize in essay writing competition organized by Mathrubhoomi Daily in connection with 150th birth Anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi. Anshika Saneesh from KG and Karthikdev I S and Yedukrishna from XI won the first prize in drawing competition organized by ‘Sarga Kalakshetram’, Vadanapally. Our tiny bud from KG Shreya K.T won first prize in Story telling Malayalam, and Arathy K.H and Sreenidhi Sreenivasan from STD II won first prize in Malayalam and English recitation respectively in the Sahodaya Kids Fest 2018 at Vijaygiri Public School, Mala.
· Skill Development: Various activities were conducted by the GICE faculties for the students in order to build up their language, pronunciation observation, overcome their stage fear etc. Student Language guards are appointed in each of the classes to monitor the activities of the students in connection to the assignments and projects assigned to them. Regular follow ups were also made to ensure that the students are up to date with all the activities.
KG and the LP section organized sports events for their students in co-operation with SEWA of Carmel Central School.
House wise ‘Seven’s football tournament’ was held for students in which Vimal Group won the title.
In Sahodya Sports meet our students participated in various items like chess, caroms, badminton (doubles & singles) etc.
Value Education: Our moral education and catechism classes form the corner stone of value education in our school. The tradition of Holy mass and confession every month has been maintained. Besides these theoretical inputs, we try to inculcate in our students values for life through Nalla Padom Program.
Nalla Padom Programs: Our school promotes our students to actively participate in programs and activities related to social development, social work etc and we are proud that our school received an A+ and cash award from the Manorama for our last years social activities performed by our students.
This year also the students have contributed their heart and soul for the social development and have contributed their part whole heartedly.
· Eleven students along with a teacher generously donated their hair for the cancer patients.
· Books and pens were collected from the students and given to ‘Thannal’ an organization at Attapadi.
· Pulses & Grains were collected and donated to Ollur ‘Ponarjeevam’ Rehabilitation Centre and Puthenpeedika Centenary hall were the relief camp was set up for the flood affected people.
· Cartons of candles and towels were donated to the flood relief camps.
· Our students also visited the St. Joseph’s Mental Health Care Home at Pullazhy where about 200 kgs of various vegetables were donated to the inmates.
· Students also collected old newspapers and plastic bottles as a mission to avoid plastic usage.
· Tricycle was donated to the anganvadi children of valapad on Children’s Day.
· A lump sum amount was collected and contributed to financially support one of our non- teaching staff and prayers were offered for speedy recovery from her illness.
Due to heavy rainfall many camps were set up to rescue the flood affected people. In the nearby IHRD camp many confused and depressed flood affected victims took refuge. All our Carmel Sisters visited this camp and supported them physically, mentally and spiritually and gave them counseling to build up their confidence and hope. They also celebrated Onam along with them.
The school also collected a sum of Rs. One Lakh Seventy Five Thousand from the students and teachers and distributed the amount to ten Carmel families to rebuild their houses destroyed in the flood. A part of the amount collected was also donated to the CM Relief Fund.
5. Swachh Bharat Abhiyan:
We, the Carmel School of Valapad, very well organized and observed the Cleanliness drive for Swachh Bharat as instructed by the CBSE Board.
On September 3rd the CLEANLINESS PLEDGE (Swachhata Shapath) was taken in the morning assembly where the students promised to clean the school premises daily. Students also planted trees and started vegetable gardening in the school premises. All kinds of waste materials were completely removed from the surroundings.
HAND WASHING DAY was observed where Posters were made by the students and it was pasted on all the important washing areas of the school. The students actively participated in the class room cleaning competition. Each class from Std V to XII also cleaned the school premises including the road sides, school ground and the courtyards.
Awareness on Water Harvesting was given to the students in order to promote rain harvesting system in their houses. A BLUE ARMY GROUP was organized in the school which includes five teachers, principal, the ward member of the panchayat (panchayat president) and two outgone students of our school which was inaugurated by the Health department officer Mr. Unnikrishnan and Dr. Raseena This group would handle all the issues related to water harvesting and water related diseases.
SYZYGY - Alumini Association: Past and present students are what a school is all about. Students create, sustain and enhance a school’s reputation during and beyond their school years. We have in our Alumini, many students who are successful in their fields and we are proud and happy that this year too, they set aside time from their busy schedule and gathered in the school to recollect the sweet memories they had during their days spent in this school.
“The most important motive for work in school is pleasure in work, pleasure in its result and the knowledge of the value of the result to the community.
In conclusion, we wish to express our most sincere gratitude and heartfelt thanks to all those who contributed their mite to the making of this glorious institution. Since inception we have been blessed with visionary leaders whose imagination, insight and courage called forth the best in teachers and students alike and united them around a shared sense of purpose.
We humbly salute our visionary leaders of the past and the great ones of the present and seek divine grace and blessings to guide us in all our endeavors.